I finally finished my Apres Surf Hoodie!
I’ve had plenty of starts and stops with this project. I originally wanted to make it out of Dream in Color Smooshy but I wasn’t feeling the deep blue I got for it. (I’m now using the DIC for my Featherweight cardi and it’s a great match!) I bought Webs’ Charlemont about a little more than a year ago for Apres and I was still making slow progress. Then about a month ago, I heard it whimpering in my works-in-progress pile and then I simply could. Not. Put. It. Down. …It happens, what can I say.
Pattern: Apres Surf Hoodie by Connie Chang Chinchio From Interweave Knits, Summer, 2008
My Ravelry Project Page
Yarn(s): Valley Yarns, Charlemont 4 Skeins, 1756 yards
Colorway(s): Whipple Blue
Needle(s): US 3 – 3.25 mm
Casted On: February 2, 2011
Casted Off: May 10, 2012
Modifications: I did provisional cast-ons to then do an applied I-cord bind off. I used this bind-off at the pullover’s bottom, sleeves and hood area. (I don’t believe the instructions said to use that bind-off at the beginning…not entirely sure though. I also made the torso and sleeves longer and, to do that, I had to spread the increases and decreases out a little more.
I made the size 39.5 and of course I did some research on how many yards other people have used with this size. I thought four skeins of Charlemont, (439 yards a skein) would be enough. Well, I used more yarn than I thought! To the point where I was getting very nervous. I bought the original skeins more than a year ago so who knows what kinds of dye lot issues I’d have!
My mods to make its components longer ate up some yarn but so did the provisional cast offs! Must keep that in mind. If I didn’t rip out some of the bottom stockinette rows, I would have run out.
I find myself drawn to lacy tops. They can provide feminine, more professional warmth, when ACs are jacked up during the summer months. I plan on making more. Since this was my first, however, I was slightly nervous about sleeve placement:
Can’t say I did a bad job.
I’m very pleased with how this turned out! I can’t wait to make some more lacy tops as the summer progresses.